Midtown Skyscrapers. The East 42nd Street Corridor. View northwest, the Lincoln, Chanin, Chrysler and Daily News Buildings tower over the Commodore Hotel, New York Central (Helmsley), and walk-up East Side tenements. c. 1930
At the outbreak of war in September 1939 the museum’s collections were evacuated, with the exception of the heaviest pieces, which were protected with sandbags. The works were initially deposited at the Château de Chambord in the Loire valley, before being dispersed to numerous other sites, mostly châteaus. For safety reasons, many works were moved several times during the war. Although mostly empty but for plaster casts, the Louvre reopened under the Occupation, in September 1940.